Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Using Gematria as a Meditative Tool


Here's an exercise for those of you who would like to experiment with a meditation/imagination activity. Below is a list of words with a value of 484. Perhaps a word or two seems to stand out to you ... seems linked conceptually to other of the words. Perhaps the juxtaposition of words that are antipodes strikes your imagination. One meditative technique is to look for the association between this list of words -- to join them together into meaningful concepts: "The ordinances are the gates by which we are sanctified...." etc.

Or perhaps, while looking at a word in its related scripture, you find that another word from the list nicely fits the scripture -- i.e., the word, or similar concept makes sense if replaced by another word from the list. For example:

"I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me" (Deut. 4:5)

COULD read:

"I have sanctified them [by] statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me."

The Work of the Magician in Tarot is to properly arrange the items on his table. Let's see what we can come up with. There isn't a right or wrong answer to this; its merely an exercise which, if seriously approached, may result in personal inspiration and insight. Here is the list of gematria. Good, luck, take your time, and let us know how it goes for you!

Gematria with a Value of 484

BeN AshaH ALMaNaH Widow's Son.
From Strong Heb. BeN 1121+ AshaH 0802 + ALMaNaH 0490. "He was a widow [woman]'s son of the tribe of Naphtali, and his father was a man of Tyre, a worker in brass: and he was filled with wisdom, and understanding, and cunning" (1 Kings 7:14).

B'NBeLaTh The Carcass.
From Strong Heb.5038. Carcass, corpse. (Lev. 5:2).

B'ThaVeKNV Among Us.
From Strong Heb. 8432. "Hear us, my lord: thou art a mighty prince among us" (Gen. 23:6).

DaLaTaYM Gates.
Strong Heb. 1817 DeLeTh. Gm. 0484 or 1044 (sofit). Door, gate; fig. gates of the heavens, crocodile jaws, easily sexually accessible woman."All these cities were fenced with high walls, gates, and bars "(Deut. 3:5).

Ha-MiShPaTiYM The Ordinances.
From Strong Heb. 4941 MiShPaT. Gm. 0484 or 1044 (sofit). Judgment, ordinance, process, law. "These are the laws" (Ex. 21:1).

V'MiChoLoTh And the Dancing.
From Strong Heb. XXXX. "he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot" (Ex. 32:19).

V'NoKaChaTh You are Vindicated.
From Strong Heb. 3198 YaKaCh. "To prove, decide, judge, rebuke, reprove, correct, be right." "This is to cover the offense against you before all who are with you; you are completely vindicated" (Gen. 20:16 NIV).

VaThaChMoL And She Had Compassion.
From Strong Heb. 2550 ChaMaL. To have mercy; to take pity on; to spare; "Behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him" (Ex. 2:6).

YaDOaTha Known.
From Strong Heb. 3045 YaDOa. Know, perceive."Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee" (Gen. 30:26).

L'MaDThiY I Have Taught.
From Strong Heb. 3925 LaMaD. "I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me "(Deut. 4:5).

M'QaDoShaM Sanctify Them.
Strong Heb. 6942. Gm. 0484 or 1044 (fin. m). "I the LORD do sanctify them" (Lev. 22:9).

SBiYBoThaY Round About Me.
Strong Heb. 5439 From every side; in a circuit. "[Thou] shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are [round] about me" (Deut. 17:14).

PDuTh Division.
Strong Heb. 6304 PeDuTh. Var. twdp PeDVTh. Redemption, ransom; division. Always divine action.`I will put a division between my people and thy people" (Ex. 8:23 [19]).

ThiLaChamV You Will Fight.
From Strong Heb. 3898 LaChaM. "And you will fight not, because I will not be with you [if you do]" (Deut. 1:42).

ThaLMiYD Zelator.
Strong Heb. 8527. Student, apprentice, pupil; scholar [of the Torah]. "Young and old alike, teacher as well as student, cast lots for their duties" (1 Chron. 25:9).

olethros Ruin.
Strong Gk. 3639. Ruin; destruction; death; defeat."For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them (1 Thess 5:3).

theou Of God.
From Strong Gk. 2316.

2 comments:

  1. No comments on this, so here is my own meditation, using the gematria for 0484:

    The outcast of Zion hath been troubled; he hath cried: my enemies have compassed me round about! They have danced to see my vexation, and have rejoiced in my ruin.

    Yet, thus saith the Lord God to the outcast of Zion: You shall embrace the ordinances I have taught you, and I will prove you at the gates. I will raise you up, and ransom your body from death. By my own hand will I sanctify and gather you from among the nations, and vindicate you in the eyes of your enemies.

    Thus shall thy enemies see and know that God is with the outcast of Zion, that His hand is upon the widow's son; and I will fight for those who are zealous for My word. Yea, I will bring the outcast again to Zion; and she, she shall have compassion on upon thee, and comfort thee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gematria meditation on 0484, with an attempt at a bit of chiasmus :)

    O sexually accessible woman, you are vindicated by the widow's son.

    Heaven crieth aloud: I have seen her ruin, and the dancing upon the ordinances. It is known among us -- there is division among the judges.

    Round about me is the carcass of your judgment. But you will fight not my decision: I have taught her, she is an apprentice of God.

    And she had compassion on you, when you preached her destruction; therefore she is proven, and shall rise and enter thy gates with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete